Friday, July 11

What I'm Watching This Summer Season 2014

Another season has ended, and I'm already looking towards what new shows I'll be watching week after week. Below is my personal list of what I think will be promising, as well as appealing to my personal taste. They're not all along the lines of a josei series (in fact, there's none airing this season surprise surprise) but they look like something a josei fan could enjoy nonetheless!

Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance)

image

Summary

In an alternate version of the present, Tokyo has been decimated by a shocking terrorist attack, and the only hint to the identity of the culprit is a bizarre video uploaded to the internet. The police, baffled by this cryptic clue, are powerless to stop the paranoia spreading across the population. While the world searches for a criminal mastermind to blame for this tragedy, two mysterious children—children who shouldn't even exist—masterfully carry out their heinous plan. Cursed to walk through this world with the names Nine and Twelve, the two combine to form "Sphinx," a clandestine entity determine to wake the people from their slumber—and pull the trigger on this world. (Summary via Funimation)

My Thoughts

By the director of Space Dandy and Kids on the Slope, this is a psychological thriller that looks equal parts dark and compelling. I love dark anime done right, so hopefully this one makes things interesting this season.

First Episode Aired July 10th 2014

Space Dandy Season Two

image

Summary

This is the second season of the original series Space Dandy. The story follows the antics of Space Dandy, his personal robot QT and alien delinquent Meow. Together they are a group of alien bounty hunters who set out to find new alien species so they can make some quick cash. This of course is no easy task, and leads them all over the solar system and beyond in search of aliens that haven't been identified yet. (My Summary)

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed the first season of Space Dandy, and I can't wait for its return. Every episode was a new adventure, and the crazy scenarios kept things interesting every time. It took inspiration from Western cartoons, but still retained that Japanese wackiness I love. I know not everyone enjoyed this series as it is very different to Cowboy Bebop, but I find it artistically enthralling and generally entertaining. I can't wait to see Space Dandy's return!

First Episode Aired July 6th 2014

Sailor Moon Crystal

image

Summary

Sailor Moon is returning for a bi-weekly episode special that retells the first tale of Sailor Moon versus the Dark Kingdom. Taking artistic inspiration from the drawings of Naoko Takeuchi, Crystal is recreating the story of the original story manga. It will retell the story over a 26 episode span. (My Summary)

My Thoughts

It's Sailor Moon, you can't convince me not to watch it. That said, hopefully it isn't horrible! I really enjoyed re-reading the manga, so I'm hoping that the anime stays true to the manga and gives me what I've been waiting to see for over a year!

First Episode Aired July 5th 2014



Glasslip

image

Summary

The daughter of a glass artisan family, Fukami Touko, spends relaxed days at a cafe called “Kazemichi” at a friend’s house. On the summer vacation of her third year in high school. In front of them appeared a transfer student boy: Okikura Kakeru. He told Touko that he can hear the voices of the future. If someone knew in advance what their future would look like, what would they wish for? While feeling never-before-felt tremors in herself, Touko realises that she has started getting a feeling in her heart which she can’t leave alone… (Summary via Official Website)

My Thoughts

This anime looks cute. It has a very cute premise, and cute animation... It seems like a fun watch! Why not have a couple indulgences with animes that don't really attempt anything grandiose? Hopefully it lives up to my cute expectations.

First episode Aired July 3rd 2014

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

image

Summary

The romantic comedy story begins when high school student Sakura Chiyo confesses her feelings to her classmate Nozaki. Due to a misunderstanding, Nozaki thinks Sakura is just a fan of his shoujo manga work. Sakura has to convey her true feelings while her relationship with Nozaki develops. (Summary via Anime News Network)

My Thoughts

Does it look like some sort of weird cousin of Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to? Definitely. But it's probably a little more PG friendly. I didn't personally watch Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to, but this anime has me curious because it tells a more innocent love story. It could be a total flop, but I'll keep you posted on my thoughts.

First Episode Aired July 7th 2014

Nobunaga Concerto

image

Summary

The story centers around Saburou, a high school boy who time-travels to Japan's Sengoku Era. He must become Nobunaga Oda, the famed warlord who helps unite Japan. (Summary via AnimeNewsNetwork)

My Thoughts

Seems like a strange premise for sure, but the art style and genres it falls under (historical, romance, and shounen) have me believing there's more to this anime than just a war story. I like historical animes that offer a bit of romance mixed in, so this one has me curious.

First Episode Airs July 12th 2014

So those are the animes I'm going to be watching. Let me know what animes you're watching, either by reblogging or leaving a comment! I'd love to start a conversation about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment