Sunday, October 20

S.H. Figuarts Sailor Moon Figure Review


My S.H. Figuarts Sailor Moon Figure arrived today! I ordered it off of Amazon while it was on for a great deal and paid about $50 USD including tax! Needless to say, this figure is amazing for the price! But let’s get into the nitty gritty details about what makes this figure so awesome, and perhaps talk about the not so awesome things… Anyways, to the review!

So this is how the box shipped to my house, it appears that I got the limited first run bonus!! That made me super happy as I wasn’t sure if I’d be getting it or not. Secondly, it appears to be the Japanese release even though it was being brought over to America which means that there won’t be any truly localized product for North America, so don’t expect to see it in your local hobby store. If you want this item get ASAP and get it with the bonus faces that come with the first time limited run. It includes her winking face and crying face. Both are really nice to have as we all know Usagi is a bit of a cry baby.
One more comment is how stunning this box is. If you’re a collector this piece in the box is a really nice display just as is! It’s also very ecologically friendly as there’s barely any wasted space in there. The box is 7” tall, or 18 cm for all my Non-U.S. readers out there. The figure itself is just a few hairs shy of 6” or roughly 14 and a half cm. She’s pretty small, but that accommodates for her lower price tag. Still a nice centerpiece for sure despite its less than average height.


Here are all the external accessories, she comes with 10 hands (including tiara in hand accessory) and 7 faces. She also has her two wands, one with and one without the silver millennium crystal. The wand looks fantastic (comparing it to the Sailor Moon dolls I grew up with, this puts them to shame!) and every face is detailed to perfection. I could not find a single painting flaw anywhere on this figure. I was super impressed. The faces also have amazing depth to them, the mouth curves in, the eyes are indented and the jewel on her tiara even sticks out. This is just mastery. I couldn’t be happier with the attention to detail.

Her stand is displayed here, and although I’m not crazy about the clamp style here (as it very visible while posing) it does the job without much frustration. The figure is however very difficult to get standing on her own, I accomplished it once for a few moments, and then couldn’t succeed on my second try. Her feet are very small, and her center of balance is all out of kilter. That’s the bummer of these things, ugly stand and impossible to stand on its own. But it’s not the worst thing that could happen with a figure.

I just wanted to point this out since I found it strange. Luna’s figure is very nice, but for such attention on Sailor Moon’s faces, accessories, why is Luna so simple? Her tail cannot move, and she has a white joint in her neck that doesn’t even match the colour of her body. Seems like a strange oversight when so much attention was put into everything else. It’s pretty strange.

For my last point I wanted to talk more about Sailor Moon herself. Her outfit is very vibrant and metallic which looks amazing. Her hair has pieces that turn translucent in areas which is a little strangle as it takes away from her true to cartoon look, but that’s not a big deal. Her figure is very flexible, able to turn around 360 degrees around at the waist.  Her hair does not have joints which is really surprising. Action shots with her hair blowing in the wind are impossible to create, and that’s kind of disappointing. With the upcoming senshi who have longer hair and who do have points of articulation in the hair, it seems silly that some figures have it, others don’t. The joints in her hands are also kind of slippery which leads to a bit of frustration, but not anything overly annoying. Her skirt is also flexible pvc plastic which is nice as it gives her hips a lot of movement. Her figure is flexible, while also not flexible. It’s a strange combination of how she all comes together this way but I can work with it I guess.
So what’s the consensus? I give this figure an 9.0 out of 10. There are so many things I love about this figure, and they mainly have to do with the expert detailing and attention to detail on her accessories. Every hand is on you’ve seen in the show, and her wand fits naturally and rests nicely in her gripped hand, it’s just an expertly done job. She loses points because of the lack of attention in Luna, and the odd mishmash of flexibility that is hard to work with. Those points however don’t take away from the fact that this figure hits all the right points for nostalgia overload. I am loving this figure, and trust me I will be collecting the other 4. I am excited for their arrival.
imageChristina

No comments:

Post a Comment